Dreams Redefined

When I was younger, say 14 years old, I always dreamed of being the career woman in a big city with a corner office and ridiculously important title that went with it. I would have the six-figure salary, a name brand wardrobe that advertised my sense of style, a loft apartment with an airy floor plan and modern furnishings. At the time I thought this was the definition of having it all. This is what all people should strive for, right?

As I got older that dream changed. Instead of graduating from college in four years it took me nine making me 27 when I graduated. By then I had met a man and fallen in love, I had a good job and made a decent salary. Shortly after graduation I got married, bought a house, and had two children. Don’t think that these events held me back from my dream because you would be sadly mistaken.

What I realized in my journey is that it is not the things that you accumulate in your life that define who you are, but what you have to show for it. Even though I have a great job and a nice salary, my career is a very small part of who I am. For me, having a loving husband, good kids, a great home, and a happy life is more important then a fancy title and a corner office in a big city. Everyone is different and sees life in a unique way, and the world would be a boring place if we didn’t. When I think about that childhood dream I see that the things I thought would make me happy seem shallow in comparison to what I have now.

So my question is, what good is working hard for material things or a career if you have no one to share your life with?

0 comments: